Deep below ground at our Kirtling Street site we have two tunnel boring machines (TBMs) tunnelling away. Millicent, our westbound TBM, was launched towards the end of last year and has now completed over 4.2km of her 5km journey towards Carnwath Road in Fulham.
Ursula, our eastbound TBM, completed her launch in March 2019. Since then she has completed over 1.7km of her 7.5km journey towards Chambers Wharf in Bermondsey. Before she reaches Chambers Wharf, Ursula will need to undergo vital maintenance to her cutterhead, which digs the muck out of the ground, at our Blackfriars Bridge Foreshore site due to the change of ground conditions in east London.
With both TBMs fully operational, above ground the team are busier than ever as they manage the muck produced by two 8.8m diameter TBMs and the large concrete segments that make up the tunnel lining rings. The muck is removed from site by barge, with up to 4 per day and each barge taking 1,600tns of muck. This ensures over 2,450 heavy goods vehicles are taken off the road each week.
Tradition tells us that to keep the tunnellers safe underground, a female name should be given to the machine before she sets off on her journey. To find out more about how the names were decided and the women they were named after, click here
What are our working hours?
As we are now in the tunnelling phase of construction, we are working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week across the site.
The date of our next CLWG for Kirtling Street and Heathwall Pumping Station will be announced soon.
Previous minutes are available upon request, please contact the Tideway Helpdesk on 08000 30 80 80 or email [email protected]
- There is a noise enclosure over the tunnel drive shaft as we have started works
- All static machinery and plant is screened or enclosed
- Hoarding has been erected on the site boundaries
- Vehicle movements outside of standard hours are restricted
- Use of low level directional lighting
- The excavated material handling area will be enclosed
- Timber fenders will be installed on the jetty
- Acoustic barriers will be installed on the jetty
- Call our 24 hour Tideway Helpdesk 08000 30 80 80 or email [email protected]
- Take a moment to read the latest updates on the noticeboards on our hoardings.
- Email our dedicated Community Relations teams available to answer your questions or meet with you, via [email protected]
- Join our regular Community Liaison Working Group meetings, to attend the meetings or receive the minutes and presentations from past meetings, email [email protected].