Putney Embankment Foreshore (Wandsworth)
Putney Embankment Foreshore (Wandsworth)
The Putney Embankment Foreshore site is on the southern bank of the River Thames. There are two sites: a main construction site and an area to build a temporary slipway to maintain public access to the River Thames.
This site will be used to intercept the Putney Bridge combined sewer overflow.
At this location, in a typical year, there would be 33 discharges of untreated sewage with a volume of about 68,000 tonnes into the tidal River Thames.
Our Putney Embankment Foreshore site will control the discharges from the Putney Bridge combined sewer overflow. When the tunnel is in operation it is expected that only one discharge will occur.
What's happening ?
- We have completed the construction of temporary slipway
- Set up main construction site in late 2017
- Construction of shaft (this will include piling)
How long will the work take?
- It will take approximately three and a half years
What are the working hours?
- Standard working hours are 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 1pm Saturdays. Vehicle movements would also be restricted to these times
- There will be approximately two months of 24-hour working. However, activities will be predominantly below ground
How will we use the river?
We have committed to using river transport as much as possible to reduce the number of heavy goods vehicles on the roads.
At Putney Embankment Foreshore 90% of cofferdam fill (import and export) and 90% of shaft and other excavated material will be transported by barge. A peak number of four barge movements would occur within the third year of construction.
An anticipated daily average of six heavy goods vehicles will access the main site for the majority of the construction period. This will rise to 21 heavy goods vehicles per day over an estimated one-month period during the sewer connection works and the construction of the various hydraulic chambers.
During the construction of the temporary slipway, it is anticipated that an average of three heavy goods vehicles will access the site per day while it is constructed and subsequently dismantled. This will be between 10am to 3pm Monday to Friday to minimise the impact on the local community.
Tideway's River Times - West
The first issue of Tideway's new regular community newsletter, produced especially for our neighbours in the west section of the project.
Putney Embankment - Latest news
A former Olympic rower is launching a festival on the River Thames to get people involved in activities on the water.
Putney Embankment Foreshore - Works update
13 September, 2017 - Works Update
Due to urgent water main repair works on Lower Richmond Road, we needed to provisionally stop the set up works. Read More
08 September, 2017 - Works Update
On Tuesday 12 September we are planning to carry out urgent repair works on the carriageway on Lower Richmond Road. Read more
27 June, 2017 - Works Update
In preparation for the main construction work along the Putney
Embankment Foreshore, we will start to set up our site from late July. Read More
Putney Embankment Foreshore - How we will minimise disruption
- Hoarding will be erected along the site boundary
- Use of low level directional lighting
- Construction will be suspended during identified river race events, including the University Boat Race and any barges associated with the works removed
- Barges will only be loaded and unloaded during standard working hours with no weekend river transport permitted
- The use of surface cranes will be minimised outside of standard working hours
- Except for the anchor piles, push piling will be used, unless determined to be impossible
- The existing Putney public slipway will be maintained until the temporary slipway is operational and the temporary slipway will be maintained until the original slipway is reinstated
- Access to Putney Pier will be maintained for the duration of the construction
Putney Embankment Foreshore - Important site documents
Putney - Community Liaison Working Group
The next CLWG will be held on 18 January 2018 at The Star and Garter, 4 Lower Richmond Rd, Putney, London SW15 1JN 7pm-9pm