Where: Putney Embankment, SW15 1LB
When: 23rd Sept, all day
What’s going on?
The Big Ben Challenge, open to 200+ experienced and confident paddlers. The 20km tour runs from Putney Embankment all the way to Big Ben and back. Sign up here: Active360 Big Ben Challenge
- Active Row Regatta – A schools event run by London Youth Rowing, as part of Tideway’s Active Row Programme. This novel rowing event will take rowing out of its comfort zone seeing young people from local Secondary Schools race up and down the river in a format you’ll have never seen! To find out more about Active Row and which schools are racing check out the London Youth Rowing website
- Discover fixed seat rowing: fixed seat rowing is the oldest and most assessable way to get into rowing on the water. LYR are running sessions for everyone, more in, here
- ‘SUP’ for walking on water? The breakthrough sport of the 2010’s, Stand Up Paddle Boarding is growing faster than any other sport. Try your hand with Active360. Sign up on the day at the Active360 stand
- And don’t forget Kayak Canoeing – Blades KC are running taster sessions in there Kayak and Canoes, sign up for sessions on the day here.
- River ecology survey - ZSL will be leading Seine netting sessions on the river side that open your eyes to what is in the river! Their experts will walk you through the river ecosystem and hook you into the rivers wildlife
- Your river environment - The Environment Agency will be there with their Thames Estuary 2100 team to talk about the future of London’s Flood Defences
- Plastic attitude - Hubbub will make you think a little differently about Plastic in the river through their novel approach!
- River plastic clean-up - Thames21 is one of the leading anti plastic charities in London, leading walks and clean up sessions on the foreshore, seek them out and find out when and where you can help do something about the plastic that pollutes the river. For general info visit: www.thames21.org.uk.
- Blue light demonstration - Demonstrations and activity with the RNLI, PLA, Fire Service – See and speak to the people who keep us all safe. Find out how to be safe and responsible on the river banks.
Free Tideway boat tour - Tideway is offering spaces on its acclaimed boat tour. The trip on a Thames Clipper will take you to the Tideway sites along the river from Putney Pier to Westminster departing at 13:30. Come see the #SuperSewer. Please book your place by emailing [email protected]
Explore the Thames foreshore with MOLA – Meet archaeology experts from MOLA’s Thames Discovery Programme, handle fascinating artefacts found on the Thames foreshore, and take a guided walk along London’s longest open-air archaeological site. For more info and sign up visit: MOLA events
- #SuperSewer pop-up – Learn all about Tideway and its huge Tunnel Boring Machines with our interactive VR, Model TBMs, and hear from the people building this incredible tunnel under London
- The River Thames Society – Helping to protect the natural beauty of the river, adjacent lands and buildings of historic and architectural interest, to promote nature conservation, and to preserve and extend amenities to encourage the use of the river for all purposes. Visit: www.riverthamessociety.org.uk
Gloriana - The Queen’s Row Barge ‘Gloriana’ will be joining the festival once more. The Gloriana Trust have invited rowing crews from clubs and schools to take the Royal barge, this spectacular craft that was presented to HM Queen for her Diamond Jubilee in 2012, for a row. For more details please see www.glorianaqrb.org.uk and on our Facebook page
Tideway Hoarding Artist - Join Amy Pennington for a walk and talk from 11am to 12noon (free, spaces limited, booking required, click here to book), and an experimental drawing session (drop in session) from 1pm to 2pm. To find out more about the commission click here.
- Positively Putney - Find out more about your local BID at: www.positivelyputney.co.uk
- Food and refreshment – There’ll be street food and drink along the foreshore, along with street music, fun and games
- Adult rowing courses with Enable Leisure & Culture - Try your hand at rowing with adult sculling taster session taking place 3.30-5.30 on the day at Barn Elms Boat house. Sign up on the day at the festival stall.