Blackfriars Bridge Foreshore
In order to excavate our 53m shaft at this site, we needed to first stabilise the ground around the perimeter to allow for safe working conditions. To start this process, we used a technique called jet grouting, which involves jetting high pressure water into the ground to loosen and partially remove the soil. The soil that remains in the ground is mixed with durable cement-based grout which sets, steadying the working area.
We created 138 grouting columns in total on this site with approximately 35,000tns of spoil being taken out of the ground, all of which has been taken away by barge.
We will now begin to insert secant piles around the perimeter before we begin digging out the shaft in the coming months.
What are our working hours?
Our standard working hours are 8am to 6pm Monday-Friday and 8am-1pm Saturday. Also, there is a 1 hour mobilisation period before and after the Standard Working Hours, plus maintenance periods on Saturday 1-5pm and Sundays 10am-4pm.
There may be periods of continuous (24/7) working to complete marine works in close proximity to the London Underground Waterloo and City Line (near Blackfriars Bridge) and also for some of the shaft/tunnelling works. These periods will be minimised as much as possible.
Loading of barges and barge movements take place during our standard working hours.
Details on the next Blackfriars Community Liaison Working Group (CLWG) will be updated shortly. If you are interested in finding out more about our CLWG please email [email protected].
At our Blackfrairs site we are committed to minimising impacts from our works where possible. We will ensure that:
- All static machinery and plant is screened or enclosed
- The excavated material handling area has been enclosed
- Vehicle movements are strictly limited to set times and coordinated to ensure that no lorries queue outside of the site
- Footpath diversions are clearly signposted
- We have installed hoarding with information about our works
- Wherever possible, a method known as push (silent) piling has been used during the construction of Millennium Pier
There are lots of ways to find out what’s happening at this site, you can:
- Call our 24 hour Tideway Helpdesk 08000 30 80 80 or email [email protected]
- Take a moment to read the latest updates on the noticeboards on our hoardings.
- Email our dedicated Community Relations teams who are happy to answer your questions or meet with you, via [email protected]
- Join our regular Community Liaison Working Group meetings, to attend the meetings or receive the minutes and presentations from past meetings, email [email protected].